Every 22 minutes a child in Britain is bereaved of a parent – this equates to over 24,000 newly bereaved children every year.
Winston’s Wish is the leading childhood bereavement charity in the UK (registered charity England and Wales 1061359 and Scotland SC041140). We help children rebuild their lives after the death of a parent or sibling, enabling them to face the future with confidence and hope. Winston’s Wish offers a range of practical support and guidance for children, families, professionals and anyone concerned about a bereaved child.
Our many years’ experience demonstrates that the right support offered at the right time can have a life-changing impact on bereaved children.
Winston’s Wish provides the following services:
• A national helpline for anyone concerned about a child coping with the death or serious illness of a family member – 08452 03 04 05, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm.
• Individual and group work with bereaved children and their families.
• Residential groups for children and for their parents/ carers.
• Specialist support programmes for children bereaved through murder, manslaughter, suicide or military.
• Training and consultancy for professionals and a support programme for schools.
• A website and publications containing specialist information and interactive resources for children, young people, parents and professionals.
We rely almost entirely on voluntary donations to raise the £1.7 million we need each year.
Click here to go straight to the Winston’s Wish website, to donate or to find out more about the charity.